Cancer from being outside? You may think, “Nah, not me,” (especially if you’re in your younger years) but if you’re not diligent with applying your sunscreen daily, the chance of the sun’s exposure causing skin cancer is absolutely there.
The sun’s UVA and UVB rays impact your skin’s health. With spring here and summer on the way, SPF may be more top of mind, but a proper sunscreen product is something you should apply every day to prevent skin cancer and premature aging – two things no one wants.
Let’s look at 5 reasons you should include an SPF application in your daily routine, year-round. With the proper SPF sunscreen and healthy skin habits, you can stay protected.
Everyday Benefits of Using SPF
Rain, clouds, snow – regardless of the weather outside, you’re exposed to UV radiation daily. You could even be at risk if you’re indoors and positioned close to a window. Let SPF protect you! Wearing it provides you with the following benefits:
- Aids your complexion. Putting sunscreen on each day helps to even your complexion as sun damage is one of the top causes of an uneven skin tone.
- Sun protection. As mentioned previously, one of the most important benefits of SPF is its protective properties against the sun’s harmful rays. Even a mild sunburn can cause harmful damage to your skin. The results of that may not come into play until years – or decades – down the road.
- Prevents premature aging. No sane person wishes for wrinkles. Keep them at bay when you apply sunscreen each day. Excess exposure to the sun’s rays is the perfect formula to prevent fine lines and deeper creases.
- Say NO to cancer. By not wearing sunscreen, you’re putting yourself at a real risk of developing melanoma, an aggressive skin cancer that can be life-threatening. This is especially the case for women in their 20s. It’s also important to say “no” to tanning beds. Don’t fall for the falsehood that developing a “base tan” is equally protective. It’s not.
- Smooth skin. Sunscreen protects your skin’s properties like keratin, the protein that helps to keep it smooth and healthy.
What’s a Good SPF for Daily Use?
As a professional esthetician, I can tell you there is no one SPF that is good for everyone. Also, the amount you should use is not standard. It can vary depending on the brand, the type, and most importantly, on YOU. Each person’s skin is unique.
Do My Kids Need SPF Daily?
Yes! One of my biggest concerns this time of year is the number of kids, active and back to sports, who continuously get sunburned and skin damaged. By the time these kids hit age 30, they’ll be battling wrinkles or worse! Parents add sunscreen once and forget about it, yet these kids are outside in the fields for hours and hours. Experts suggest reapplying a product with a sun protection factor every 2 hours, and if your child is active (sweating), the SPF may need to be applied even more often.
How Much SPF Do I Need Daily for Anti-aging?
The amount of SPF needed to provide anti-aging benefits depends on how much you’re exposed to the sun’s harmful rays each day. Research has found that an application of moisturizer with SPF 30, used daily, results in marked improvement in the skin’s appearance overall (not just on facial surfaces) and decreases the occurrence of skin pigmentation.
How Can I Find the Best SPF for Me?
We want you to enjoy the outdoors! Sun exposure can lift your mood. Just make sure SPF is part of your daily routine.
Need help choosing a sunscreen product that’s right for you and your skin type? We can help! Contact Pure Skin Makeup & Skincare Studio. We’re conveniently located in Reading, Pennsylvania, with products and consultations available online.